Friday, March 6, 2009

Stock Photography

It took me a long time to be okay with selling my work in the stock photography market, but for the last six months or so, I have been using my digital photography solely for stock. Things have been going pretty good, I have been slowly building my stock portfolio and learning how to photography for the stock market [ignore my silly little pun]. About a month ago I sold a photo I took in La Grande, Oregon for a whole whopping $5 [in stock photography, that's quite a bit seeing as most downloads on iStock you only receive around a $1 and shutterstock .25cents]. Well low and behold, last night I was flipping through the recent PDX Magazine and there was my photo. Exciting and sad all at once...yes my photo was printed on a two page spread for the 150th Birthday for Oregon article, but my name is no where to be seen. That's the life of stock unfortunately, so I completely understand...BUT...if you read the article, right next to my photo there it says [roughly]...Portlanders are not the kind of people to just see art in a gallery and buy it, Portlanders want to meet the artist, know who they are, why the did what they did for that particular piece of art and then they are happy to buy it. Well maybe its just me, but if they are going to say something like that, dont you think they should have put the photographers names of the few images they used for the article. I know it is not required with stock photos, but its not like the photographers names aren't right there with the image...oh well. Atleast I know its mine, and now all of you listening to my little rant!!



Speaking of stock photography, my friend Elizabeth and I were enjoying happy hour at Clyde Commons the other day and our food just looked so good with the lighting and everything, I had to photograph it for iStock. mmmm, makes me hungry all over again!

1 comment:

bluefem44 said...

haha, mystery solved! no billboard for you, unfortunately... ;0)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online